Art.Science.Gallery. LLC is seeking applications for fall 2013 internships with the possibility of extension for one additional semester. Art.Science.Gallery. is an art gallery and science communication space featuring science-related art in Austin, Texas. We are a 100% local, woman-owned small business that collaborates with artists, scientists and other galleries and museums to produce art exhibitions of science-related art. We are also developing a series of professional development workshops for scientists in science communication and data visualization as well as a curriculum of fun, hands-on Art.Science.Labs. for the public. In addition, Art.Science.Gallery. offers consulting services in curriculum design, custom exhibitions, science outreach events and more.
Interns will work with owner/director of Art.Science.Gallery. Dr. Hayley Gillespie to develop a course of internship activities based on the intern’s interests and skill set. The internships will involve a weekly gallery meeting to discuss and evaluate the agreed upon goals of the internship experience. Interns will be expected to dedicate 5-15 hours per week to the internship and the number of hours and scheduling are flexible.
Art.Science.Gallery. internships provide the opportunity to be involved in:
- Art exhibition preparation, installation and take-down
- Serve as a gallery representative at exhibition receptions and events (including art sales) and serve as a docent for tours
- Coordinating and evaluating open-calls for art shows and individual artist submissions
- Marketing and publicity tasks including: maintaining and expanding marketing lists of potential clients, graphic design and design and distribution of promotional materials, web design and maintenance and social media management for business
- Accounting, Bookkeeping and Sales tasks
- Production of educational and promotional short films for the gallery and its clients
- Curriculum development, coordination and/or scheduling of science communication workshops and Art-Science Labs
- Development of funding programs for gallery projects (i.e. Kickstarter campaigns, grants)
- Research and development of an environmental sustainability policy
Because Art.Science.Gallery is a multidisciplinary organization dedicated to engaging the public with the arts and sciences, internship candidates will be considered from a variety of scholastic backgrounds including (but not limited to): arts, sciences, liberal arts, communications, marketing + pr, radio/television/film, journalism, business + accounting and public affairs/public policy.
For questions about the Art.Science.Gallery. internship program please call Dr. Hayley Gillespie at (512) 522-8278 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. This internship opportunity complies with the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) position statement on U.S. internships.
- Keen interest in the interaction between the arts and sciences is required
- A creative, friendly attitude and interest in public outreach
- Excellent writing skills are required
- Ability to research a topic, summarize results and propose related policies and/or programs
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite and/or iMovie is a plus
- Experience with social media management for business is a plus
- Personal laptop for mobile working is a plus
This is an unpaid program, but we are committed to ensuring that this is a valuable experience that rewards the intern’s time and contributions. To be clear, we are not looking for someone to fetch coffee, but for an interested and friendly collaborator who has the potential to make meaningful contributions on our growing business and the Austin art and science communities. In addition to helping our interns achieve their stated goals for the internship, the intern is also entitled to the following benefits:
- Successful interns will have top priority for future employment at Art.Science.Gallery. as opportunities become available.
- Course credit from your academic institution may be possible, and we are happy to work with your institution to meet internship requirements
- Free registration in one of our Art.Science.Labs or Science Communication workshops
- Opportunities for networking with artistic and scientific professionals in our community
- One-on-one mentorship with Art.Science.Gallery. owner/director Dr. Hayley Gillespie
- Regular coffee or lunch meetings with gallery owner and gallery collaborators and/or clients
To apply, please send the following information to Dr. Hayley Gillespie at email@example.com with the “ASG Internship Application: YourLastName” in the subject line. Applications will be considered as they are received, but no later than July 30, 2013.
- A cover letter that addresses the following (1 page maximum please):
- Your interests in the arts and sciences.
- Your preferred interests and goals in the internship program. Explain what skills and qualifications make you a great candidate for our internship program. Also, let us know what particular skills you wish to gain as a result of the internship program. Do you need an internship to fulfill a degree requirement?
- Preferred weekly schedule (if known) and when you are available to start.
- Your Resume or CV. We understand that different fields of study have distinct formats for these documents, so follow your field. Make sure that this includes your contact information, links to any professionally relevant websites or blogs you manage, and professionally relevant social media sites such as LinkedIn.
- Transcripts of available college courses (does not need to be official at this time)
- Names and contact information for three professional references.
- A writing sample (if not included in item 3 above).