Current open calls to artists are listed below. We are currently not accepting art submissions outside of the open call opportunities listed below.
5th ANNUAL ART/SCI TRADING CARD SHOW!
SUBMISSIONS DUE Tuesday, November 28, 2017 by 6pm CST
Exhibition Dates December 2 – 24, 2017
Art.Science.Gallery. is proud to be hosting our Fifth Annual Art-Science Trading Card Show, which benefits the gallery’s art-science programs. The exhibit will feature hundreds of original, affordable, miniature works of science-inspired art! Send us a mini-work of science-inspired art for our fundraiser and it will live forever in our public online library of Art-Science Trading Cards (http://artscitradingcards.tumblr.com/) and it will be included in our exhibition.
Prizes will be awarded for the best cards and runner up in several scientific categories.Art.Science.Gallery. is proud to be hosting our Fifth Annual Art-Science Trading Card Show, which benefits the gallery’s art-science programs. The exhibit will feature hundreds of original, affordable, miniature works of science-inspired art! Send us a mini-work of science-inspired art for our fundraiser and it will live forever in our public online library of Art-Science Trading Cards (http://artscitradingcards.tumblr.com/) and it will be included in our exhibition.
Great Reasons to Participate:
- Awards for Best Card (and one runner up) will be given in one of these categories: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Geo/Planetary Sciences and Engineering/Technology.
- Your trading card will be digitized into our public online library of Art-Science Trading cards!
- Your card will be exhibited in Art.Science.Gallery.’s Fifth Annual Art-Science Trading Card Show!
- You’ll help support the gallery’s exhibitions and special programs and help us stay open another year!
- Your card directly supports our mission of engaging our community in the sciences through the visual arts!
- Your card may receive additional exhibition opportunities. For example, many past submissions were exhibited at the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport and the New York Maker Faire.
- You will be spreading your enthusiasm and wonder about science through your art!
- Free entry for artists to the opening reception!
How to Apply:
SOLAR // a group exhibition of prints of, by and for the sun for PrintAustin 2018.
More details in the full open call are coming soon, but this show will feature artwork in the printmaking medium about the sun (or, other suns; tt doesn’t just have to be our solar system!), made by our sun (as in solar printmaking, cyanotyping, or printing with photosensitive inks) or for the sun (about sun or star related cultural / natural history)! Submission deadline will be December 15, 2017.
Art.Science.Gallery. Curatorial Statement (applies to all exhibits)
Art.Science.Gallery. seeks artwork that is steeped in and reflective of scientific ideas. The science should be apparent in the works. We strive to exhibit work that exemplifies the integration of scientific knowledge and discovery with a very thorough artistic process. While art with partial scientific narrative or imagery with limited artistic process is accepted for review, it will not be as highly ranked in our selection process.
- What are we looking for?
- First, keep our mission statement in mind. We want to engage the public in the sciences through the visual arts.
- We want to see that there’s a sense of study of the subject in the artwork. Show through the artistic process that the artist is learning something about the subject.
- Works with thoughtful design and choice of medium, as well as evidence of the artist’s hand in making the work will also be more highly ranked.
What are we not looking for?
- We do not want work that is copied from stock images or photos, we are looking for artistic interpretations of the callout subject.
- Work where either the science or the artistry is completely lacking and there is no integration of the two will not be considered.